What Is Wander Management?
The term “wander management” encompasses the challenging act of controlling the wander behavior of seniors who have dementia or other memory and cognitive processing issues. Most cases of dementia are caused by the disease known as Alzheimer’s, but dementia can be caused by other diseases as well.
When an elderly adult suffers from dementia, they can easily become confused, unsure of where they are, agitated, or scared. These feelings can cause them to wander out of a safe area of a nursing home or assisted living facility. Wandering outside of the safe area can present a physical danger to these individuals, including getting lost in inclement weather, wandering into traffic, suffering a fall, or becoming injured due to other types of accidents.
With this elderly population already at risk of experiencing accidents, wander management can reduce this danger by preventing the elderly from wandering out of protected areas of a healthcare facility or residential facility. Wander management commonly includes an electronic security solution, such as Accutech’s ResidentGuard wander management system.
What Is ResidentGuard?
Controlling patient wandering is no small feat, but with the right technology, skilled nursing facility staff, smart policies, and other security mechanisms, patient flight can be averted. ResidentGuard is a wander management solution for hospitals and senior care facilities. This technology uses a perimeter control system combined with a discreet, comfortable bracelet that alerts nursing staff of a perimeter breach. Alarms allow nurses or other staff to react quickly when a senior has wandered out of a safe part of the facility.
The ResidentGuard solution was developed with seniors in mind. This system allows elders to keep their dignity and privacy while still being protected from the dangers associated with resident wandering behavior.
Reasons to Choose the ResidentGuard Solution for Wander Management
If you need a solution for your hospital or senior care community’s wander management needs, you will find it in Accutech’s ResidentGuard system. This system is:
- Effective - Securing elders who have wander behavior is vital to their safety, but you need to have an effective solution that doesn’t make residents feel like they are in a cage or prison. With ResidentGuard, you have a solution that consistently controls wander behavior, minimizing risks that come with it, so patients can be safe.
- Reliable - ResidentGuard’s alarm notifications allow you to secure residents reliably because this system doesn’t go down unexpectedly and has been built to minimize signal interference from other electronic devices.
- Comes With Support - Accutech’s wander management system is backed by a full one-year warranty. You can reach customer technical support 24/7, and you can rest assured knowing that our products are manufactured in the United States.
- Integrates With Other Systems - Our wander management solution was designed to integrate with other systems, such as nurse call systems, electronic access control systems, closed-circuit television systems, and other security mechanisms your facility may have.
Other Ways to Manage High-Risk Patients
In addition to a cost-effective patient wander solution like ResidentGuard, you can also initiate best practices at your senior care community or hospital to cut down on resident flight incidents and prevent accidents.
For instance, you should have a nurse’s station posted at every exit point, so seniors can’t leave without passing a staff member. All staff should be well trained to manage patient flight behavior, and policies should be in place to control wander behavior. Your community should have security procedures, and your community’s security protocols should be known and upheld by all staff members.
Reliable wander management protection can be a great asset to your facility. Learn more about ResidentGuard by calling Accutech.
Contact Accutech for More Information About Our Wander Management System
Resident safety is a high priority for all senior care communities and hospitals. If you are looking for easy-to-use, effective systems to help you monitor and control wander behavior, you have found the company and solutions for you.
Accutech Healthcare Security Solutions is an industry leader in the manufacturing and installation of security solutions, such as our electronic access control system and our wander management system. Call us today to get started with securing your elder care facility or hospital.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER!
- How Pediatric Patient Elopement Systems Are Different from Adult Wander Management Systems
- New Alzheimer’s Drug, Aduhelm, Approved by the FDA
- Can Healthcare Security Solutions Reduce Criminal Activity at Hospitals?
- What Is Elopement?
- What Is Hospital Access Control, and Why Is it Important?
- Babies Need Both Kinds of Cuddles
- Why Is Wandering a Problem in a Facility?
- What Is Wander Management?
- CertaScan Digital Footprinting vs. Paper Footprinting
- Products and Strategies for Managing Dementia Wandering
POSTS BY TOPIC